Welcome to GulfCoastNews.com

Salvation Army Allocates $155 Million to Help Neediest Katrina Victims
Money to be Used for Long Term Recovery

From: Salvation Army    Filed 5/3/06 GCN

The Salvation Army today (May 3) announced details of a $155 million long-term recovery plan for Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana and Mississippi. This second phase of the Army’s overall $362 million recovery effort will use donated funds for reconstruction, housing development, volunteer programs, and job-readiness training, among other services. To help implement the plan, the Army has signed agreements with a number of organizations including Habitat for Humanity, Project Teamwork and Southern Baptist Disaster Relief.

“This community rebuilding effort is too big for any one person or organization to undertake alone,” said Major Dalton Cunningham, The Salvation Army’s Divisional Commander for the Alabama, Louisiana, and Mississippi Division. “By working together with other social aid organizations we are able to maximize the dollars available and eliminate duplication of efforts. I want to thank all the donors from across the country who have made this possible. ”

As part of the long-term recovery plan, The Salvation Army has identified the following five community recovery and rebuilding services for Louisiana and Mississippi:

“Even as a new hurricane season approaches, we cannot forget those who are still suffering from the effect of last year’s disaster,” said Major Cunningham. “In this second stage of recovery we have to help the neediest survivors return their lives to a basic level of normalcy.”

All Salvation Army services offered will be distributed to people who are the most in need, without discrimination, but based on specific eligibility criteria developed by the Army. It will be administered by trained staff and the local Salvation Army Recovery Command team according to individual households' needs after a thorough evaluation. Individuals requesting aid through these programs must apply for The Salvation Army’s case work services. Individuals can visit www.salvationarmyusa.org for the appropriate local contact information to begin the application process.

These services are only available to survivors in Louisiana and Mississippi. Survivors who have relocated outside the region should contact their local Salvation Army to identify available services.

To date, 68 percent of the $142 million spent in the first stage of recovery has gone toward direct financial assistance to survivors, including gift cards, accommodations assistance and utilities assistance. The other 32 percent was used for meals, cleaning and personal hygiene supplies for survivors, equipment, and transportation and lodging for Salvation Army disaster personnel. The balance of the $362 million in public donations received, and any new donations, will support resettled survivors outside the immediate recovery zone.

In the ongoing response to Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, the Army has served more than 14 million meals and sandwiches as well as a quarter million food boxes, and has assisted nearly 1.6 million people in at least 30 states, through April 2006.

The $362 million recovery plan works in tandem with the Army's previously existing presence, which is funded separately. While the Army incurred significant structural damage to its own operational facilities throughout the region, day-to-day work of the officers, staff and volunteers has continued, in addition to hurricane recovery. Recovery and repair to its facilities will be drawn from insurance coverage and its non-disaster budget.

The Army continues to accept donations for Hurricanes Katrina and Rita, even as it prepares for potential new storms in 2006. Monetary donations help provide the most immediate relief to people in affected areas in the aftermath of major storms. Donations can be made either via the Army’s website at www.salvationarmyusa.org , or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY. Donors will be prompted to give to the Army’s Hurricane Relief Fund that will provide assistance for any storm-related outreach; or donors can designate that funds go directly to a specific storm.

Welcome to GulfCoastNews.com