Welcome to GulfCoastNews.com

Debris Removal Nears Completion
From: FEMA    Filed 5/25/06  GCN

More than 41 million cubic yards of debris scattered throughout Mississippi by Hurricane Katrina on Aug. 29 has been removed, according to state and federal recovery officials.

About 1.70 million cubic yards of debris, or 4 percent of the estimated total debris statewide, remains to be removed. Debris removal is complete in 75 of Mississippi's 82 counties.

Debris removal is the clearance, removal and disposal of items such as trees, sand, gravel, building components, wreckage, vehicles and personal property.

Debris already removed in South Mississippi's three coastal counties amounts to 22.87 million cubic yards, which is more than half of the total statewide

  • In Harrison County, crews have removed 10.82 million cubic yards of debris, or 97 percent of the estimated total.
  • In Hancock County, 5.75 million cubic yards of debris has been removed, which is 94 percent of the estimated total.
  • In Jackson County, 5.29 million cubic yards has been hauled away, which is 99 percent of the estimated total.

In other south Mississippi counties seriously damaged by Katrina, Jones County debris removal is 99 percent complete and Pearl River County is 86 percent complete.

The costs for debris removal and emergency protective measures will be reimbursed 100 percent by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) until June 30, 2006. After that date FEMA will reimburse 90 percent of debris removal and the costs of emergency protective measures with state and local governments splitting the remaining 10 percent.

FEMA funding of debris removal is scheduled to end August 28.

Welcome to GulfCoastNews.com