PEARL – The following updates have been reported to the State Emergency Operations Center in Pearl related to Hurricane Gustav.
· 62 registered shelters in Mississippi are currently housing 4,758 Gustav evacuees.
· More than 10,000 power outages reported as of this morning. Most outages remain in southwest counties.
· Franklin County: U.S. 98 from Berrytown Road to Yap Road because of a land slide from heavy rain.
· Sharkey County: State Route 14 between State Route 1 and Rolling Fork because of a land slide.
· All state highways have been re-opened for travel and signals are operational, according to the Mississippi Department of Transportation.
· MDOT crews have conducted their final pass through state highways to remove debris following Hurricane Gustav.
· I-10 will be CLOSED through Baton Rouge from the Highland exit to the Siegen exit at NOON for repairs to electrical lines. They will reopen the road when the work is complete. It will be closed an hour at a time, reopened an hour and closed an hour again. Alternate routes include I-12 and Airline Highway.
Schools closed today:
· Amite County is for students, but faculty is scheduled to report to work.
· Franklin County School District.
· Jefferson County Schools.
· Natchez-Adams School District.
· Wilkinson County School District.
Affected Louisiana residents: